What is HTTP and HTTPS?
- HTTP full form is “Hypertext Transport Protocol”.
- HTTP protocol used for data exchange purpose on web application.
- We can say HTTP protocol is the client-server protocol, means requests are initialed by web browser or client.
- There will be different requests send to server to fetch text, images, video, layout etc.
- HTTP protocol is a unencrypted protocol.
- It is a request-response protocol and HTTP protocol gives a way to interact with web resources such as HTML files.
- HTTP uses different request methods to perform various operations such as: GET , POST , HEAD, TRACE, DELETE, PUT , OPTIONS, CONNECT, PATCH.
- HTTPS full for is “Hypertext transfer protocol secure (HTTPS)”.
- HTTPS protocol is the secure version of HTTP protocol.
- HTTPS is a encrypted protocol, which help to increase security while data transfer.
- HTTPS gives data integrity while sending and receiving data through encryption.
- HTTPS also can use different request methods to perform various operations such as: GET , POST , HEAD, TRACE, DELETE, PUT , OPTIONS, CONNECT, PATCH.
What is the Difference between HTTP and HTTPS?
Below mentioned are some common and important differences between HTTP and HTTPS.
|1.||HTTP full form Hypertext Transfer Protocol||HTTPS full form Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure.|
|2.||The URL start with “http://”||The URL start with “https”.|
|3.||HTTP uses port number “80”||HTTPS uses port number “443”|
|4.||Application data transfer over unencrypted channel.||Application data transfer over encrypted channel.|
|5.||HTTP protocol works with Application Layer||HTTPS protocol works with Transport Layer.|
|6.||HTTP not require TLS/SSL certificate.||HTTPS require TLS/SSL certificate.|
- Technically we can say that, HTTPS and HTTP are the same protocol with different port numbers and when HTTP simply put, it is using HTTP over TLS/SSL encryption it become HTTPS.
- When HTTPS is used the TLS/SSL certificate will confirm that a certain provider is claim to be are transmitted on secure channel.
- A webpage will transmit its SSL certificate, which contains the public key required to begin the secure session, when a user connects to it.
- The SSL/TLS handshake is a series of back-and-forth messages between the two computers, the client and the server, used to create a secure connection.
- To more understand about HTTP and HTTPS concept see this video on our youtube channel “https://www.youtube.com/@ElanusTechnologies“.